The Lost son

Take a look at what many consider the greatest story ever told:

The story of the Lost Son. “There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them. Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.” You see, this son couldn’t care less about his father; all he wants is his money. “After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he begun to be in need.” Hard times have come, and men are out of work. Famine has set in the city. Eventually he finds a job, feeding pigs, but no one gives him anything, and he is forced to eat the pigs’ food. He finally comes to his senses and says, “I will set out and go back to my Father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.”

A Long Way Off

But listen to his dad’s response: “But while a long way off, his father saw him and filled with compassion for him, he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.” The son begins to stammer out a confession. “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.” But the father won’t hear another word. He cries “Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.” So they begin to celebrate.

What is that a picture of?

This story shows God’s attitude towards the sinner, His unending love to the lost son. You may have not thought of God for many a long day, but there has not been a single day that God has not thought of you and loved you. And ultimately, His love for you was shown in sending His Son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross. The Bible puts it like this in 1 Peter 3:18, “Christ suffered for sins once for all time; He never sinned, but He died for sinners to bring you to God.” If you turn your back on your sin today and trust in Jesus Christ’s death on the cross, God will run to meet you. If you feel like this lost son and want to come back to your Heavenly Father, you can pray a prayer like this right now:
“Dear God, I know I have sinned against you. I believe Jesus Christ died so You could receive me with open arms. I want to come back to You now and follow You for my entire life. Amen.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just being avalable

The Office

The Alien has Landed!